5.01.2012

Hometown Series :: Material Girls Quilt Boutique

We absolutely love where we live. It's just about perfect here (for us at least). There aren't many places in the country where you can experience rural country living, classic small town suburbia and big city living all within a 45 minute drive. Charles County Maryland is where we call home. The Hubs and I live in Bryantown while Maggie and her boys live in La Plata. We get to be just a 10 minute drive away from each other and we wouldn't want it any other way. Our family has called this place home since before the country was founded, and we are lucky to still have our roots here.

We love our hometown so much, we want to feature its treasures on the blog from time to time. We're starting off this Hometown Series with some good friends of mine. Amy and Robin of Material Girls quilt boutique in La Plata, MD have been enabling my sewing habit for years now. You may not know that in addition to photography, I also design and make hand bags. Some of you may know me as Bette's Bags. My etsy shop stays up year round, and on days we're not shooting a wedding, I am a vendor at craft shows and art markets in DC, and Arlington, VA. It's a blast, and I love that I can enjoy two of my passions on a professional level. What's that saying? "Love what you do and you'll never work a day in your life"... yeah, that's it.

Material Girls has always been the place to buy fabric and sewing supplies in Southern Maryland since it opened 9 years ago. Amy and Robin are also a Mother/Daughter team, and I love it when moms and daughters get together to do great work. Robin's daughter, and Amy's sister Wendy works at the shop full time and I swear she is the fastest fabric cutter I've ever seen. These girls know everything there is to know about sewing, sewing machines, quilting, embroidary, and so much more. Their boutique has always been the best around, but they decided it was time to grow. So the girls grew... and they grew big time. They're now an authorized Bernina sewing machine dealer and with that title the expanded their store front by 3,300 square feet to add their brand new Bernina Showroom and Sewology Lounge. Learn more about it here.

I almost forgot to tell you about their new yarn shop! Oh the yarn... the yarn is gooooood. Knitting has become my therapy and I can't get enough. I go through yarn like I go through Peeps at Easter. Their new yarn shop is just what I needed.

Mag and I managed to fit in a visit to the Material Girls shop a few weekends ago for their grand opening of the new space. Here are some photos Mag got while I shamelessly shopped for fabric. Did I need more fabric? No. Did I buy more anyway? You bet.

So if you're a DIY kind of Bride and are thinking about a handmade gift for your Bridesmaids, Material Girls is the place to shop for patterns and materials. They can personalize hankies with your girl's monogram, or maybe even a zippered make up bag. What about a one of a kind garter with your Hubby's Alma Mater, or favorite team's colors? Go ask Amy about any ideas you may have, we're pretty sure she can do just about anything.

Thanks Amy, Robin and Wendy for being so amazing at what you do and for giving us crafters in Southern Maryland one heck of a place to shop for supplies and inspiration. Congrats on your new adventures!

















Congrats ladies!

Have a good day everyone,

No comments:

Post a Comment