4.30.2012

rain on your wedding day


The morning of my wedding was perfect. Sun shining, a few passing clouds of the puffy white variety... all was well. Nothing to worry about. No rain on my wedding day! The frenzy set in, makeup and hair arrived to doll everyone up then I got into my dress and made my way to the beautiful chapel at Mt. St. Mary's University where our family and friends waited. I made it down the aisle without crying, we said our vows and ran out of the church while guests waved handmade streamers. It was wonderful! Then it was time for photos...

We made it through the family portraits and once everyone left to go to cocktails, it was just me, my new husband and our photographers. Time to get busy and take lots of amazing, natural light shots at all of the locations on campus I had strategically mapped out. Right? Nope. Then the sky got dark, and we watched a rain cloud race towards us. We managed to get two shots outside before it started to pour. I had set aside two whole hours for portraits, making sure to give our photographers lots of time to do their thing. Of course, the only time it rained on my wedding day was during those two hours. We went inside the church, took some standard stuff and then joined our guests at cocktail hour. I wasn't worried, and I didn't stress. I knew I had Mom, and I knew I could still have my sunset portraits. But I still can't believe it to this day. Rain, during only the time set aside for photos, on a wedding photographer's wedding day. Go figure.

I'm a lucky girl. My partner and fellow photographer is my Mom, and I knew I had nothing to worry about. I'd get my great wedding photos... just not on my wedding day. A few weeks later, after the Hubby and I returned from our honeymoon we played dress up again. I stepped back into my dress and did my own hair and makeup, while he got back into his tux and promised to stand still. I stopped by Whole Foods and picked up some fresh, gorgeous white hydrangea and tied them to make my bouquet. Then we went to my late Grandfather's old cornfield for a "Newlywed" photo shoot. Mom did beautiful work as usual, and these wedding portraits are my favorite.

Rain on a wedding day can actually be an opportunity to take some amazing wedding photographs, if you have the right photographer. Don't be afraid of rain, but if your big day doesn't go as planned then a Newlywed Session is a way to give you even more portraits to be happy with. Even if your wedding does go as planned and you love your portraits, but you want to do something really unique, artistic, funky, or funny... a Newlywed. Session can be your way to play with photos. If you're willing, we could even go the "Trash the Dress" route.

So consider what a Newlywed Session could do for your collection of wedding photos. For me it allowed me to have sunny, warm, outdoor photos in my wedding dress even though it was dark and rainy on my wedding day. Plus, we had the chance to take the photos in a place that's near and dear to me. Here are some of my favorite shots from that session.

















Congrats to our door prize winners at yesterday's shows! We hope you'll enjoy your Newlywed Sessions!

Happy Monday,

No comments:

Post a Comment